THY NEXT FOE IS
THY NEXT FOE IS
Look at me all updated to Tumblr Pro!
Such swag yolo.
So tonight, a friend tagged me in this photo from Wondercon 2012:
(I’m the Martian Man-Eater. As an aside, someone referred to me as the Martian Man-Chaser. Excuse me, no. It is the men who chase ME, not vice-versa *snap*)
I (mistakenly) decided to read the comments on this particular photo.
When I post pics on my personal page, people are mostly cool and respectful, because they know that the sharpness of my tongue is legendary and they had best not mess. And while most of the comments were tame or expected (cute a bazillion comments on the hotness of the ladies involved, paticularly Joan Stewart, because let’s face it, she fine), I did see a lot of ignorance seeping out of the woodwork. And it occurred to me just how many assumptions people make about cosplayers, and just how incredibly wrong they are. So I’m going to address a few of those today.
had to shut a bitch down today
The guy mentioned he had been wearing a fedora. That should have been a red flag right there.
Garon Wade and his husband Jamie were prepared for their son in 2012. They were not prepared for what strangers had to say.
- (Cab Driver in Florida directly after getting in) Where’s his mom? (Us) He doesn’t have a mom. (Long Awkward Silence)
- (Cashier at a Surf Shop, see’s just me and my little boy) Oh man, you were given Daddy duty today huh? (Me) It’s Daddy Duty everyday at my house bro. (Confused look)
- Do you think he’ll be more likely to grow up gay? (Me) No. But I’ll love him for whoever he is, so it doesn’t really matter does it?
- (Man on a plane next to me, completely out of nowhere) So did you leave his mom in DC or are you taking the baby to his mom in Florida? (Me) He doesn’t have a mom, he has two Dads. (Complete Silence)
- Are you guys going to tell him he’s adopted one day? (Us) Yea, but I’m pretty sure even if we didn’t, at some point he’d figure that one out right?
- You shouldn’t take babies on planes for the first many months because they get sick right away. (Us). He’s already been on 20 flights. (Silence)
- (Random Guy on the street) Where’s his mom? (Us) She didn’t want him, so I guess that makes us the next best thing.
- (Random Stranger at the grocery store) That baby’s so cute. Does your wife breastfeed? (Me). No he’s got two Dads so we give him formula. (Lady) What??
- (Another Random Lady at the grocery store). That baby is so young. You should NOT be out with him like this at the grocery store! (My husband) Oh I’m sorry are you a pediatrician? (Lady) Excuse me? (Husband) Are you a pediatrician? (Lady) Well, no. (Husband) Then I’m not that interested in what you have to say. My pediatrician said it’s fine to take him out. Have a good one.
- (Yet another Random Stranger) Where’s his mom? (Me) Where’s your mom?
I have never related to a quote more in my life than I do this one right here, right now. BAM. (via reificationofnotion)
To clarify, intimacy in this context does not always mean sexual or romantic interaction; it can just be talking with a close friend or family friend whom we see everyday.
when the person u hate does something that makes everyone else hate them:
because people are still asking that question
because women are payed less than men in approximately 99% of professions
because chris brown can still have a career after assaulting rihanna but miley cyrus takes her clothes off and there’s a huge scandal
because of this:
because currently it is estimated ten million more girls are out of education than boys (x)
because we’re expected to be mature but hairless like a child, in control but not bossy, sexy but not slutty and definitely not a prude, intelligent but not opinionated, independent but reliant on men, natural but look like the girl in the magazine etc etc
because being called a girl, a pussy or a bitch is an insult
because when i told my mum i refused to get anything less than a’s in my exams she told me it wasn’t ladylike to be so cocky
because my brother and 90% of my male friends think girls who wear revealing clothing are asking for rape
because every person who identifies as female should be allowed to choose if they want to get married, have kids, have a career, go to uni etc etc without expectations
because tampons and sanitary pads are stupidly expensive
because some people reading this will have flinched at the fact i just said ‘tampon’
because there are men out there whose job it is to make young girls feel like absolute shit about themselves just so they can sell the next best beauty product
because female masturbation isn’t considered normal whilst men can talk about their own penises for hours on end
because feminists are still seen as crazy lesbians who dont shave and some still feel like they have to defend themselves by claiming theyre not any of those things when in fact if i want to be a passionate lady who likes other ladies and cant be bothered to shave my legs every twenty minutes then thats my choice and if i want to be someone who wears make up and shaves and goes out partying then thats my choice and if i want to be a combination of the two or anything in between then thats. my. choice.
because i believe anyone who identifies as female is fucking badass and deserves the same rights as every privileged stuck up old white man sitting around and making laws about our bodies
because how can you not be
My goal isn’t your death. I will torture you and make you awaken and make you my friends!
THIS. FUCKING READ IT, UNDERSTAND IT, THEN REREAD IT, THEN SHARE IT, THEN NEVER EVER FUCKING EVER USE SLUT AS AN INSULT AGAIN, OK? OK.